Sunday 26 June 2011

Moths and migrants

Since my last post I've been back to Somerset and, as I previously mentioned, I was hoping to catch up with another species of butterfly, the Large Blue.... unfortunately the weather was petty awful so we didn't get to see them and with their flight season being so short, it looks like I've missed them for another year, but it gives me something to look forward to next year I guess.

Coming back to Cornwall, the weather continued to be overcast, but the rain had, for the while, abated so it gave me a chance to get the moth trap out again..... this time I had a couple of little helpers in the shape of Tabatha and Marius Hall. They were staying at the youth hostel overnight with their mum and dad (Phil and Flora) the night before Phil played a gig in Penzance with his band.

During the evening I'd had a chat to them about moths and other bits and pieces and because I felt that the children were taking such an interest I thought I'd invite them to check out what we'd got in the morning.

8am came, and we opened up the trap... it was more quality rather than quantity, with 18 Elephant Hawk moths, 2 Poplar Hawk moths and singles of Privet and Eyed Hawk moths. Along with 45 other species it turned out to be a successful nights catch, and although the resident Robin (who has now located my trap and realised that it's an easy breakfast) managed to make off with a couple of the hawks, the children helped me to release (most of) the moths and I think it made quite an impression on them. They asked loads of questions and seemed very sad to have to go, but hopefully, their new experience of nature has instilled a passion which will continue on throughout their lives and give them experiences similar to mine..... I really enjoyed the families company too, it was great seeing them so awed by the experience and I wish them all the best. They are hoping to come back to the hostel at some point through the summer.... it'll be great to welcome them back, and the trap (weather permitting) will be waiting for round two!

On another note, a new lens has arrived in my photography armoury... a sigma 150-500mm APO DG, so in the next few days hopefully I'll get the chance to get out with it and give it a bit of a road-test..... check back soon to see the results.

No comments:

Post a Comment